And We Shall See

So this one time I applied to the Media Arts program at BYU. I remember it like it was a reminisce. I procrastinated a little too much and stressed a little too much, but I managed to finish printing all my papers and everything for it the morning of right before it was time to leave. I'm pretty impressive, I know. Don't ask how i magically managed that, but it happened. I sighed a sigh of relief when I handed my 4 manila (they HAD to be manila, any other color is blasphemy) folders with my DVDs featuring this to the lady at the desk. Then I realized that there would be an ensuing interview in the next couple of weeks. I knew the questions they would ask me, so that's been lingering in the back of my mind for the past couple of weeks.

The morning came... this morning in fact. I spent the previous night picking out my outfit, and stressing some more. I was NERVOUS. like you wouldn't believe. So nervous. So I got up, not as early as I planned (my bed was delicious this morning, but then again, what's new?) and got all ready to break some boys hearts (this is false, but it makes a nice embellishment). I went off to class and learned about igneous rocks, and was distracted when we talked about metamorphic and the other one. And then I went to the H-FAC, room 515, where my interview would be. I walked up and there were a bunch of chairs lined up and some boys scattered amongst them, looking calm, cool and collected. They too were there for interviews and I thought I was the only nervous one. Then this one girl showed up, who vocalized her nerves and my heart started beating faster. I seriously thought it might just burn itself out and I would just die right there, in that chair. The interviews were running late so I just sat there thinking about what I would say. Then my time came, and my name was called. I went into the interview room, and there were a mere 7 or 8 people sitting around King Arthur's round table. In the middle was a bowl of peanut M&Ms. They looked delicious. As I sat in the chair I noticed the arms looked a little damp, the guy before me must have been pretty nervous. I took note that they should probably be sanitized before I, or anyone else touch them. I'm just glad that he wasn't any more nervous and that was the only damp part of the chair. They asked my name and where I was from. I think I aced those two questions. I am pretty sure I did. Then the real stuff began. I answered the questions. I was thinking, "this isn't so bad, but I really could use an M&M or two, or nine." Then it hit me, the question of the century. I won't go into detail, but as I answer the question something hit me. It may have been all the water I had consumed in the midst of my nerves before, or maybe it was the Spirit, or Jiminy Cricket, but I started to cry. Yes, tears. Not just one or two. I wasn't bawling or anything, but there were definite obvious tears. Glamorous, I know. I then proceeded to laugh. Not just a chuckle, but a definite LOL. The knights of the round table were laughing, I don't think at me, but rather with me. The tears continued to flow and the laughs did not subside. Then my interview was over. It was 5 minutes of bliss. Scratch that, more like a demonstration of every emotion. I am talented, I know. I left the room, and tried to slightly compose myself before reappearing to the other lambs awaiting their slaughter. (Now that I come to think of it I should have just kept crying and pretended to be really upset to get them more nervous and get rid of some of my competition- too bad). I told them they would all do great. Then the man with the list came out too call the next victim. He was still laughing and said, "that was awesome." And he continued to laugh. All the interviewees turned to me with a look of confusion and asked what happened. I tried to relay the story through my laughs. I don't know what happened, I couldn't stop laughing. Then one of the ladies that was in the interview came out and told me I did great. I guess that's a good thing. Then I headed for home, crying and laughing. 

I hope that one day, I will get to have a copy of the video of my interview, just so I can try to make sense of it. I mean, I think it went well, and I am pretty sure I am memorable and impressionable... I hope. I must agree with the name calling man, it was pretty awesome. Unfortunate I didn't get any M&Ms, but that's okay. I'm sure if I asked they probably would have given me one. They were all very nice. I will be hearing the results of my episode in about a month. We shall see then if my interview went well, or if they caught on to my fake crying and trying to guilt them into putting me in the program. 

And now we wait...

And now, for your viewing pleasures...
This is me, obviously in the company of B-A-N-A-N-A-S post laugh cry.
Oh yeah, and here I am warming up to break some hearts. It takes lots of practice. Right after this is game myself a motivational speech- it was ever inspiring. 

DISCLAIMER: It simply took me two tries to get these two shots, so no, I don't sit in my kitchen all the time checking myself out in photobooth trying for hours to get the right shot at the right angle, I am just naturally this photogenic. 



Comments

  1. You are so funny JJ!!! I am sure you did SO good and you make me so happy all the time!! now i want some m&ms.

    Also i am impressed with your pictures being the only 2 you took

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your blog was gone. I'm so glad that Alana pointed me to your blog with the updated spelling. I like your writing style - it was like I was there at the interview with you. I could almost feel the moisture on the chair and I could almost taste the M&M's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soo sooo sooo cool! really. I can't wait to just be around you this week! eeek. Just. so. excited!

    Love you

    RIka

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI!! I'm glad that Grandma told me about your blog. You ARE talented, I love your writing style (oops, I'm about to completely write exactly what your Dad did...coincidence but, we do think alike.

    Since I discovered instagram, I haven't been checking the blogs, but I will get back to it. I'm missing out on a lot.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Canadians

I Love To See The Temple